Course Enrollment Permission

Permission numbers for 2018 Spring Term honors courses (term designation 2184) will be issued beginning on Monday, October 23, 2017, through Friday, January 19, 2018 (the last day of the add/drop period).

Details about enrolling in honors courses appear below. If you need a permission number, please email David Hornyak (

In order to enroll in honors courses, continuing students must have a minimum 3.250 cumulative GPA. First-year students must have a combined SAT math and critical reading score of 1450 or a 32 ACT composite, an "A" average in a challenging high school curriculum, and a top 5% class rank (if applicable). Transfer applicants are reviewed on an individual basis.

If you are using Self Service Enrollment and you have a 3.250 cumulative GPA at Pitt, you do not need to obtain a permission number in order to enroll in an honors course.

If you have not yet established a GPA at Pitt, you will need to obtain a permission number in order to enroll in an honors course (this includes first-year students meeting the SAT requirement, as well as first-year transfer students having a 3.250 GPA at their previous school).

During the summer PittStart (freshman advising) sessions, first-year students in the Swanson School of Engineering and College of Business Administration do not need to obtain permission numbers to enroll in honors courses; your assigned academic advisor will be able to enroll you in honors courses without a permission number when enroll in courses at PittStart (this applies only during your initial enrollment at PittStart). Students in the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Nursing who are enrolling in courses for the first time will need to contact David Hornyak for a permission number by following the procedures outlined in your school's online enrollment orientation.

If you have questions about your eligibility to enroll in honors course, please contact David Hornyak ( to discuss your particular situation. Permission decisions are made on a case-by-case basis, with flexibility afforded those students having strong interest and background in a specific discipline.

Please note that obtaining a permission number for an honors course does not guarantee you a seat in the class.

If you need a permission number to enroll in a 2018 Spring Term honors course, please complete the following:

2018 Spring Term Honors Course Permission Number Request

All students, including those meeting the honors GPA requisite, are encouraged to meet with an honors college advisor to discuss course options, as well as your general interests and academic plans, to see how we can help you make the most of your education at Pitt.