Characteristics of Potential Truman Scholar
- Track record of outstanding service, leadership, academic potential.
- Ability to meaningfully discuss a wide range of domestic and global events.
- Extremely competitive (typically 1 Truman Scholar per state).
- Ambitious and committed to becoming a change agent.
Summer / Fall
- Thoroughly read Truman website, www.truman.gov.
- Notify Aidan Beatty (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your intent to apply ASAP. YOU MUST BE ENTERED INTO THE TRUMAN ONLINE APPLICATION SYSTEM before you can begin your application.
- Schedule a minimum of 3 advising appointments with Aidan Beatty to discuss drafts of your application before January 8 campus deadline.
- Begin research for policy proposal.
- Find faculty mentor with expertise in area of your policy topic. Meet with faculty mentor for initial discussion; make additional appointment for later in November to go over your policy draft.
- Seek appropriate letter writers who can speak to leadership, service, and intellect.
- Give 3 recommendation writers SOLID draft of your application BEFORE THEY COMPLETE THEIR LETTERS.
December 3, 2018 - First Campus Deadline
- Complete application due, including 3 letters of recommendation, policy proposal, and all transcripts.
- Campus interview of candidates; selection of 4 nominees (and up to 3 additional nominations for transfer students).
- Campus selection committee feedback is given to nominees. Nominees continue to work on applications until final campus deadline.
January 24, 2019 - Final Campus Deadline for Nominees
- Submit final application.
February 21, 2019
- Finalist confirmation due
February 22, 2018
March 2019 through early April 2019
April 17, 2019
May 21 - 26, 2019
- Truman Scholars Leadership Week